Village History
Belcher is a small village dating from around 1880. This small farming community has only one main street and a small business district; however, its beauty is impressive with huge trees planted since its settlement. Belcher remained as a crossroads before the 20th century when steamboat travel was dominant. During the mid to late 1800’s Rush Point and Briarfield were the center of the community due to prominent steamboat landings on the Red River. These communities not only had boat landings, but also a school, commissary, post office and dance hall. Early settlers included Abney Glassell, Martin and Wemple.
In 1899, the Texarkana, Shreveport and Natchez (T S & N) Railroad came through the area, forever changing the mode of transportation. The railroad, located somewhat further west, became the center. The old sites were abandoned for the new community named “Horseshoe” because it was located on a bayou of this name and shape. The community was later named “Belcher Town” and then renamed “Belcher” in honor of John Clinton Belcher, a plantation owner on whose land the railroad was built.
The land was originally a swamp, which was drained and cleared. Some of the earliest settlers in Belcher were Jim Dixon, Robert Adger, Dr. Elisha Hall and Dr. Watters. Other pioneers in the area were the Glassell and the Connell families. Belcher lies in the center of rich cotton farmland and most early settlers were farmers.
Earliest Homes
The oldest home in Belcher is the Wyche home, located on Gray Street. This Queen Anne home was moved by being rolled on logs pulled by mules from the river to the new community.
The Reuben Thom Glassell home was the first home built in Belcher. It was built in 1899 in the dogtrot style. In 1890, his brother John Glassell built his home, which was later destroyed by fire. In 1918, he rebuilt a fire-proof Greek-Revival home at the Briarfield Plantation.
The Hall-Dixon home was built in 1900 by Dr. Elisha Jones Hall for his daughter Hattie who married a Dixon. This home became the residence of his granddaughter Clyde Connell, who later became on of Louisiana’s most famous female artists. The Watter’s home, located across the bayou, was also an early home; however, it burned in the 1950’s.
The Connell home, located at the corner of Gray Street and Self Road, was built in 1901 by Elias Adrian Connell.
Stores
The earliest stores included Adger and Dixon as well as the first Glassell Brothers Store, which was built about 1901-1902.
Post Office
The first post office was in the home of Jim and Hattie Dixon, who, in 1899 was appointed as the first postmaster. The post office was moved later into the Glassell Brothers Store and then to the Gleason’s Store.
Churches
The St. Paul Methodist Episcopal Church and Cemetery was built in 1880. The Belcher Presbyterian Church, founded in 1897, was built in 1922. The Belcher Methodist Church was founded in 1906, and their church building was completed in 1916.The Belcher Baptist Church was founded in 1919, and the sanctuary was completed in 1928. The pews, pulpit and Lords Supper Table that are currently in the sanctuary were in the original Presbyterian Church.
Belcher School
The Belcher School was established in 1911 with the construction of the building, which included elementary, junior high and high school grade levels. More classrooms and an auditorium were added later. The high school part of Belcher School closed in 1955, and the school officially closed its doors in 1969. The school building was later demolished.
Bank
The First State Bank in Belcher was organized in 1920. In 1931, it was reorganized as the Caddo Trust and Savings Bank. The Belcher branch operated until 1979.
Library
The first library, established in 1938, was originally located in the Belcher School. The Belcher-Wyche Branch later moved to Charles St.